So I have been too busy to write but felt a desire to update. Since the last post, we have had snow in New Mexico a few times and it has even stuck some. I finished another semester at UNM, getting all A's and one B, one of my better college semesters. I did three wonderful Christmas caroling performances with the Voice of Angels Choir. I registered and paid for Spring at UNM, but still await the book lists from many of my professors. I managed to make many hats and scarves for family and friends, without any trouble. I bought gemstone beads in Santa Fe, resulting in a beading frenzy, thinking about birthday gifts for the next few months. I have a TV in my room, thank you Mark and Amy. I have a new desire to learn the Ukulele and continue trumpet and flute...a well rounded musician I hope to be. I have rediscovered my love for teaching all ages, through team teaching with Holly Gilster. I have made new friends and strengthened many friendships with those that have been in my life for years. I have a wonderful Freshman. I have a wonderful family, who loves me very much. I have a renewed sense of self. I have a great Sesame Street marching band from my Pop-Pop's train layout. I have a fabulously wonderful Grandmother who I love dearly. Ah the list of great things from 2009 can go on and on. Many other things happened this past year as well.
2009 brought the freedom from a bad relationship, new friendships at school and church, many great memories, along with some sad and mournful times. As the Bible says, there is a time for everything. The thing I cherish most this past year is my relationship with Pop-Pop. Even in his weakened state while in the hospital, all he wanted to hear about was the many adventures of my life. He was so excited to hear that I was starting a choir of my own. He had asked me if he could teach the kids "When the Saints Go Marching In". Of course I would have loved for them to have such an experience, now they will have to learn the song from me. It is on the repertoire list for this semester. I know he would be proud of all that I accomplished this past semester and watched closely as I entered the elementary education program at UNM and became passionate about teaching in a new way. He was always so proud of Amy and I for our hard school work and the way we talked about the everyday things of school. As I went through my first elementary education math course, I remembered the many times he used to help me with math when I was in high school. I was always amazed at how easily he could solve the word problems that took me hours of frustration to come to the wrong answer. Proofs, that was the main math question I remember working on with him. Nuclear engineer made proofs look like addition and subtraction and the basics of math. Such a strange thing to think about over winter break but it came to mind as I waited for my final grades to be posted. So many great memories. I was very excited to get part of the train layout for Christmas and one of the few rings Pop-Pop wore. When he passed away this summer, the family had a common thought- the many things Pop-Pop did with his hands- at the service the Pastor said something about his hands built everything from wooden toys for grandchildren and other kids to nuclear reactors. I remember his large hands always being warm and watching him work on the smallest of projects in the workshop with great ease. The last project I did with him was making pan flutes for my musical acoustics class, fond memories in the workshop, building many things.
Well on another note, this week is All-State, this will be my third year working for the festival. I am excited to go to a few workshops and spend time knitting away while being paid. It's always a good time. Saturday I leave for Indiana to see John, Brenda, Luke, Levi and Caleb White. I shall be brave and enjoy the snow and chilling temperatures. I can't wait. I just pray that the weather is good enough both days I travel to not allow for delays and closures in the airports.
When I return, I shall have only two days before the spring semester begins. 18 credits, five days a week, one credit online and many new adventures to come. Look out UNM, Julie is ready for the challenge, goal- all A's! Choir begins again in Feb and I look forward to what it will bring, private lessons are going well and I love every moment I get to share my love of music with others. Well that is all. Next time I may be writing from Indiana to tell about the awesome weather! Happy New Year to all!
No comments:
Post a Comment