Spring Break is coming to an end, the week was full of fun with friends and a ton of homework but back to school on Monday.
Last weekend, Mike, some friends and I went to San Lorenzo Canyon up by New Mexico Tech. It's a rather simple area but the weather was wonderful and we decided that it would not be possible to camp there if it were much hotter than it was. It was very nice to get out of town for the weekend and take a true break from school. For being the first camping trip in many years and the VERY first VW bus camp-out, it was great.
Spring break truly kicked off with pedicures with the school buddies, lunch with the girls and some fun before hitting my computer to get mounds of homework done. I have worked a little ahead in some classes and have other work to get done this coming week in others, but I am on track to not loose every ounce of sanity. I also visited the undergraduate adviser to check on my graduation status. I knew going into the meeting that I didn't have any courses missing and would be on track, but I didn't know that I would be completely restructuring my summer and fall school plans. This summer I am taking a Teaching English to Second Language Learners institute. It is in combination with the university and the Albuquerque Public School District. This institute is six weeks long and nine credit hours. In order to finish the TESOL endorsement, I must attend the summer institute, take a second level of Spanish and take one additional course. Originally I thought I would take the last course in spring of 2012 but now...here's the plan...
Summer - TESOL institute and Education Psychology (to finish my Ed degree course requirements) which equals 12 summer school credits in eight weeks.
Fall - Full time student teaching, Spanish 102 at the community college AND the last TESOL class at UNM, another 12 credit semester.
It will be two full semesters of work, but I will be able to graduate from UNM in December with an Elementary Education Degree with endorsements in TESOL and Language Arts. Kinda exciting. Five and a half years of work to finally finish and with two endorsements. So fun! Plus I need to take the last NM teaching exam the Saturday before starting summer school. It will be a full summer but worth it in the end. It's amazing what an hour with an adviser can do to the plans that you thought you had. Then...I can take a semester off and substitute or start graduate school and sub at the same time. Time shall tell.
Mom's birthday was yesterday. Grandma, Mom and I went to the St. James Tea Room on Wednesday to celebrate and then the family went to Nick and Jimmy's last night for dinner.
And as usual, I am amazed by the wonderfulness of my sweet boyfriend. Mike continues to encourage me to strive to meet my school goals, supporting me even when school makes me looney. He motivates me when I forget how important it is to focus on finishing school. I don't always understand how he can do so much for me with simple words of encouragement but every bit helps. I am grateful to have him in my life.
Lately I have been thinking a lot about what my purpose in life is...
Not an easy question to answer but I think that through being a teacher, I will influence a rather large amount of people, creating well rounded individuals who value the lessons and skills they learn in school. Pop-Pop always reminded me of the importance of a good education and I can almost hear him saying, "Whatever pleases you just tickles me to death", as he listens to my new crazy method for finishing two endorsements at UNM. Thank you Pop-Pop for always being so encouraging about making dreams come true.
No comments:
Post a Comment