Hola mi familia y mis amigos (Hello family and friends),
As you know, I went to El Salvador from July 15th – 27th.This trip was with NewCovenantChurch to serve on a missionary team.The team was small, only five but we met up with many members of Iglesia Sinai to do ministry in El Salvador.I have chosen to “go out and make disciples” as Christians are commanded to do, which led to my participation in this trip.The following pages will be summaries from my journal which was kept during the trip and other thoughts about my time in El Salvador.I hope you enjoy hearing about the trip and I am happy to show you my scrap book and share more with anyone who is interested!
Jueves (Thursday) 15 Junio (July) 2010
Bud, Harold, Monna and I boarded the plane at 12:30pm, with one stop in Houston, TX then onward to San Salvador, El Salvador.The plane ride went very smoothly and no luggage was lost in the travel.We quickly got our tourist visas then walked out of the airport at about 8pm to greet those from Iglesia Sinai who came to pick us up.Pastor Raul, his wife, Aura; Pablo, Pako, Edy, Kamila and Priscila welcomed us with open arms and smiles.We were dropped off at Hotel Santa Elena, where we would stay for the twelve days in El Salvador. Gloria met us at the hotel with her son, Caleb and grandson, Kevin. It was late so the team headed toward bed with great anticipation for the following day.
Viernes (Friday) 16 Junio 2010
The day began with breakfast and a group devotional at Hotel Santa Elena.Mid morning the group from Iglesia Sinai came to talk about the plans for the following week.Raul had a full schedule which included a youth retreat, time in the schools, some sight seeing and many church services.The group went to Pollo Campero for lunch, a popular fast food restaurant with fried chicken, fries and pizza.After lunch we headed to Iglesia Sinai to learn movements to the songs that the young adults had put together to use in the services and schools.At 8:15pm the Albuquerque team went to Las Fajitas for a late dinner.While we were in the restaurant, rain began to pour from the sky.Within fifteen minutes the intersection had water up to the top of the tires of most of the cars.The power went out and we had dinner by candle light while enjoying a beautiful rain storm.Lightning and thunder filled the sky as the water came down.What a way to spend the first full day in El Salvador.
Sabado (Saturday) 17 Junio 2010
Off to AguaJumperPark with the youth group from Iglesia Sinai for a day retreat and time to get away from the city.Katya, Pablo, Alex and Priscila were the young adults who accompanied the youth group, along with Pastor Raul, Aura and our team.The drive took about an hour, but was pleasant with wonderful scenery.Pastor Raul rented a bus for the day.The bus driver was a nice man, although we didn’t spend much time with him.He was unfortunately killed the Tuesday the team returned home, by gang members.While up at AguaJumperPark, we spent time playing futbol (soccer), games, swimming, dancing and relaxing.After returning from the water park we went to Iglesia Berea where Amigos de Jesus did a short presentation for a mission conference.Harold and I also participated in the songs because we had learned most of the motions the day before with Edy and Priscila.For dinner we went to Angela and Alfredo’s house (Gloria’s sister and brother-in-law). Angela and Alfredo treated us to shrimp and steak.Gloria’s niece, Barbara and husband, Cesar were also there.It was fun to meet more of Gloria’s family.
Domingo (Sunday) 18 Junio 2010
The morning was off to an early start, to teach Sunday school at Iglesia Sinai.Harold and I talked with the youth group, Gloria and Monna spoke to the women, and Bud and Pablo studied with the men of the church.It was a blessed time as Harold and I were able to talk to the youth group about the hardships they have in school with the gangs and violence they are faced with on a daily basis.The service began at about 10am.The worship team led the congregation in a few songs then Pastor Raul read some scripture before having the team from Albuquerque come to be introduced.Bud (Pastor John to the El Salvador family) gave the sermon.He talked about the need Christians and mankind have to follow God and trust that he has a perfect plan for us.After service we met many members of the church.The team went to Pastor Raul and Aura’s house for lunch.Samuel and Josue (their sons) were also there.Jorge (George), a longtime friend of Pastor Raul’s joined us, acting as translator while Gloria spent time with her family.Pastor Raul asked about my hobbies and what I like to do.He found out quickly that I am a musician.He claimed that he would find a flute or trumpet so I could play with the praise band the following Sunday, I am grateful that he did not succeed.Maybe next time Pastor!In the evening we headed back to the church for the official welcome service for the Albuquerque team.Each member of our team took some time to talk about their lives and time in El Salvador, then groups in the church did presentations for us.The young adults did motions to the song “All in All”, the children sang “Lord’s Army” and Harold led us all in “Allegria” and “La Montana” which would soon become favorites for the group.The youth group had also worked with Harold and I to put together a puppet show, using the Veggie Tales movie, Dave y Goliat.The children loved the show and the youth enjoyed learning how to use puppets.The joy and love in the church was so wonderful to see.We met many more members of the church after this service before heading to Pastor Raul’s office for dinner.We ate papusas, an El Salvadoran favorite, with members of the church and the elders.
Lunes y Martes (Monday and Tuesday) 19 and 20 Junio 2010
Complejo Educative Tomas Cabrera
We spent two days sharing the Gospel at this school.A few of the students at Iglesia Sinai attend here so they were able to help us some during the day even though they should have been attending classes.We saw about 800 students at this school during the two days.On Monday we spent about an hour in each of six different classrooms.We sang for each class then Edy and Pako took turns sharing their testimonies with the students.Most of the classes listened with open ears.We only encountered one classroom of all boys that was disruptive and unwilling to listen to Pako.
Before the first presentation, while we were waiting for directions, Edy told the group that Pako had proposed the previous night.She proudly showed us her ring.The way they look at one another and interact reminds me of what I am looking for in my future husband and why I have not dated for over a year.It’s amazing what can happen when a relationship has God at the center and is full of trust and love.Later in the day, Pastor Raul had Pako reenact his proposal to Edy in front of a classroom of students.It was quite the adventure to be in this school with so many students.Pastor Raul has a huge heart for young people and has been an inspiration to me and encouragement in the short time we have known each other.
On Tuesday we started at the school with the younger students.We gathered about 250 students to do a presentation in the courtyard of the school.We sang songs, did a puppet show of David and Goliath, shared the Gospel, gave them snack and did face paintings.Students were allowed to have a heart (Corazon), sun (sol), moon (luna) or butterfly (mariposa), painted on their cheek or hand.The kids love face painting and came back for more than one design.That afternoon we went to a few more individual classes.We had the opportunity to talk with a few of the teachers, many of whom were Christians.The teacher that spent the most time with the Albuquerque team was Lucy, an English teacher.She told us that her students were telling her that they felt important because the Christian Americans came to talk to them at their school.She was grateful for our visit because she is a Messianic Jew and believes that these children need God in their lives.She was excited to practice her English and talk about God with us.
As the days go by, I realize just how much communication matters.Even though my Spanish is not great and the people of Iglesia Sinai speak little English, we managed to have many wonderful conversations through using words in both languages and hand gestures.I spoke with Aura, Pastor Raul’s wife, about school and how I wanted to be teacher.I spoke with Josue about school and he practiced his English.Tuesday night we had a short church service with music and testimonies of members of the congregation.It’s amazing to see how faithful these people are even in the toughest of times.I admire their strength and trust in the Lord.
Miercoles (Wednesday) 21 Junio 2010
La Paz
Today we did four presentations for students at La Paz.The children realized that Edy and Pako were famous so we signed autographs for the students.Americans can be famous in El Salvador when they have a TV personality and professional drummer with them.In the morning I met Rene, an eight year old, who came to talk to me in perfect English.He was a handsome and sweet boy.He asked me about my home and where the team came from.He also wanted to know what I was studying in school.In the afternoon I met Oscar, who also spoke very good English.He was full of questions about my home as well.I was amazed at how brave some of the students were while others were very shy and didn’t want to talk to the team.
We handed out tracks and about 250 Bibles to students at La Paz.The teachers and director of the school were supportive and grateful for our visit.
Jueves (Thursday) 22 Junio 2010
Centro Escolar “Barrio Las Delicias”
The last school we visited was Centro Escolar “Barrio Las Delicias”.This school was two stories and had a large courtyard in the middle of the classrooms.This is where we did our presentations, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.We sang and danced, introduced the team and had a short time of sharing about Christ.The first group again wanted autographs and we did face painting with the younger children.
Sylvia and Andrea brought us lunch to the church in between presentations at the school.For dinner the Albuquerque team, Pastor Raul and Aura went to Margarita and Manuel’s house where we had eggs and plantains, a typical dinner for many El Salvadorans.Manuel shared with us about his time serving as a missionary in Cuba and the couples service and faithfulness at Iglesia Sinai for the past 30 or so years.It was a pleasure to meet this couple.
Viernes (Friday) 23 Junio 2010
This morning we went to the Air Force Base for the chapel service.The service was basic but well attended and then we were treated to breakfast in the main kitchen.We then headed to San Jose Luna, with the hopes to spend some time there and pass out food to the families.The director told us they already had an activity so we headed to Amatepe instead.In Amatepe we visited a family who is close to Bud then went to the church to drop off food.The van also stopped to visit Claudia, a young girl who is severely disabled.Bud went into the house with a few members of the team to talk with Claudia and her mother and to give them some food bags.
For lunch we stopped at Pato Canales Resort, which was beautiful.There were pools and exotic animals around and play areas for the children.The food was nothing like the home cooked meals of the members of the church but it was a pretty place to stop.Then the team headed back to Cuscantancingo to take food to the teachers at La Paz.We fed about 35 teachers.After eating the teachers shared their appreciation for our visit earlier in the week.Bud also talked more about my desire to teach and the encouragement I had found in visiting the schools.Many of the teachers greeted me afterwards and some gave words of encouragement.It was amazing to see how many of the teachers openly talked about God and praised Him for the visit to the school by the Christian team.
I am beginning to think maybe I would like to go teach English in El Salvador when I finish school.It would be an eye opening experience and blessing.
Sabado (Saturday) 24 Junio 2010
This morning the Albuquerque team went to the Mercado.It was rather small but with lots of interesting things.Colorful purses, hammocks, paintings on bird feathers, key chains and an assortment of other fun things.On the way out of the Mercado we passed Pastor Raul, Edy and Priscila entering to do some shopping.We invited them to head to the hotel after they finished joining us for lunch.
Harold, Monna and I walked down to Pollo Campero to bring back lunch, giving Bud some time to study for his sermon for Sunday.Lunch was on the patio at the hotel.Pastor Raul, Edy, Pako, Priscila and Pablo came to join us.Pablo gave the team small gifts as well.We each got a cross with our names on the back and a note from Pablo.
At 4pm the team went to Iglesia Sinai for the Saturday youth service.Five new students came to the service, which was a blessing.Edy and I shared with the students then after the service we talked with the students for quite some time.
Dinner was at Gloria’s friends’ house, Dinora.She made papusas and we got to hear how Edith, Gloria and Dinora met.When we arrived at the hotel, Gloria, Monna and I spent about three hours sorting gifts for the friends at Iglesia Sinai to give out the next morning.It made for a late night but oh well.
Domingo (Sunday)
“I am in awe at how much love the people of Iglesia Sinai have shown us during our visit.I am at home here even though I am many miles away from New Mexico.These people love God, their Christian family and community.This trip has reminded me what it means to love unconditionally.They continue to give even though they have small incomes, children to take care of and other things they need.The stories of so many of these people are full of heart break…Those who have loved the Lord through such events or have come to serve Him because of difficult times have hearts of gold.Love overflows from these people to no end.” (Direct quote from my journal)
The most meaningful times of this trip have been the times in the schools and services with Iglesia Sinai.The schools were full of students who desire to have a relationship with Christ or at least some direction in their lives.The teachers told us many times that their students felt important because the Americans came to visit their classes.I was encouraged by the teachers because they have so many students and a great love for their jobs at teachers, because they know how important their job is.
We spread the Gospel of Christ, shared in the joy of Edy and Pako’s engagement and made many new friends throughout the course of this trip.
The church service was beautiful, as Pablo led worship and Rene worked hard playing the drums.Pastor Raul read Proverbs 25 then the team sang Sapo (Frog) with the children in the church for one last time.Bud spoke about Acts 1:1-11, the ascension of Christ and emphasized that we all have the power to do great things through the Holy Spirit.The service ended with departing gifts and good-byes to the Albuquerque team with a very nice video of our time in El Salvador.When the service dismissed we handed out bags of food to the congregation and took many pictures with families and shared parting words.
As soon as the church was empty of members, the team headed to the roads of El Salvador for an afternoon of wandering in the mountains and looking at beaches.Pablo took us through the mountains to see beautiful scenery and ocean views.We stopped at an ocean look-out for pictures and to stretch before driving farther to the El Jardin de Celeste cabin and restaurant.We explored then had desert before heading back for the night.I know I will stay in touch with my El Salvador friends, even though that requires me to learn more Spanish or for them to learn more English.The language barrier will not keep me from keeping these friendships!
Lunes (Monday) 26 Junio 2010
“Many who claim to be Christians are devoid of the love and kindness of Christ”
Isaiah 64:6
I have found that the people of El Salvador are full of the love and kindness of Christ.
For the last full day in El Salvador, we went to Club Joya de Pacifica, a large resort on the beach.The sun came out to play for a while, just long enough to spend time playing in the ocean.Priscila and I combed the beach for beautiful shells and had fun laughing with each other.The beauty of the beach with rolling waves, coming onto black sand was just breath taking.It’s amazing that every beach I have been to has looked so very different and that God’s creation can be so different from one country to the next.I enjoyed watching the sunset after a full day of fun and writing in my journal about the trip.
As the trip quickly came to an end, I realized just how much was done while in El Salvador.I made many friends and now have a family in El Salvador, I was encouraged by teachers, students and church members; I grew closer in my walk with God and had a life changing, memorable experience.
After thoughts:
I was slightly disappointed that we didn’t spend more time with non-Christians and sharing the Gospel of Christ but at the same time, I believe we were a huge encouragement to the church.Pastor Raul was speaking about visiting orphanages and revisiting the schools in the coming months.He has a huge heart for youth and young adults and will continue to minister to the younger El Salvadoran crowd.The people we met at the church were so gracious and kind.The faces of the children in the schools, with wide smiles and joy in their eyes will stay with me as I remember their hardships and the trials they face daily in their schools, homes and communities.I know that I will return to El Salvador at another date to spend time with those I became friends with.I am grateful for Priscila’s energy, laughter and friendship.I am honored to have been a part of Edy and Pako’s engagement and wish I could attend the wedding in the fall.I am amazed at the strength of the members of Iglesia Sinai and their love for the lost.I know that with mission trips one has to be flexible and ready to do whatever is asked of the team but I was pushed out of my comfort zone, to learn and see what God has planned for my life.I am ready to be more open with others about my faith and look forward to being a light in a darkened world.
Thank you again for your financial and prayer support as I took this journey.I look forward to many other mission trips in the coming year and know that if it is God’s will, He will provide the way for me to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment