Friday, August 27, 2010

Wonderful World of Substituting

This semester's newest adventure will be substitute teaching for APS. I have been reading a book that Mom gave me about how to make your day as a sub hassle-free. It's amazing how many of the things in this book are in my memory from subs as a child. My Mom used many of the methods in the book for good behavior and keeping an orderly classroom but I also remember other subs using similar systems for good behavior and keeping students engaged in learning. I am excited and nervous about starting in the classroom. I will have a little more time to finish reading this book and work on a game plan for how to create my sub identity but I also just want to get the first day done so I can stop thinking about it.

I am also excited to be student teaching, but again nervous because I do not know what to expect. I will find out more this afternoon in my student teaching seminar. Some days I feel really nervous and unsure about the idea of teaching but generally I am excited and ready to go! Many new adventures ahead!

I have also been thinking about the many influences in my life that have helped me to become who I am today. There are many teachers in my family, from public school teachers to Sunday school teachers. I hadn't really thought about how many teachers have been in my family but there are quite a few...
My grandpa- Pop-Pop, was a professor at UNM in the engineering department in the 70's, he also taught at other universities as a guest lecturer and was often a Sunday school teacher.
My other grandpa, Grandpa Mike, was a teacher of the automobile...He owned his own auto repair shop and he has helped to teach me the art of sand blasting and stained glass. I hope to continue learning the wonderful art as time allows.
My Dad has taught Sunday school, seminars on leadership, Bible Study Fellowship and various topics about cars for his job at Jiffy Lube.
My Mom was a substitute for eight years and is now a full time kindergarten teacher. She also taught many other things along the way.
My grandma has taught me the importance of family through years of being there for me during many events in life. She has taught me to love without selfish ambition and shown me how to become a better person.
My sister has taught English, Spanish and now communication courses or tutored students in all of these areas. She often read my papers in high school and sometimes for college. She is wonderful at helping others.(Hope your first week went well! I look forward to hearing all about it if you get some time this weekend.)
And these people are not the only ones who have influenced me to become a teacher...there are many more...including former teachers of mine who always knew that I would become a teacher and had faith that I would be successful in making my dreams come true.

Most of all...these important people in my life have taught me that I must have integrity, patience, passion and a desire to help those around me. There have been many lessons learned in my life of almost 23 years and I look forward to many more. Thank you to my family for all the many lessons you have taught me and shared with me. I am grateful to you. May God bless your day and the coming years!

I love you all!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment