Thursday, September 2, 2010

First Day of Student Teaching

Today was my first day student teaching. I am at Arroyo Del Oso Elementary School, which is about ten minutes away from home so it will be great for driving. My master teacher has had many other student teachers and is willing to give me projects and such to be involved with the students so I will not just be sitting to observe but get to interact with the students. There are twenty first grade students in the class, although three were absent today and one went home sick in the middle of the morning. The class is very well behaved in the hallways and generally work quietly in the classroom. Thursday is a tricky day for them because they have PE to start the day and instruction does not really begin until mid morning after the morning recess. We spent the remainder of the morning on writing and some small projects. Lunch came and went quickly but then we got into more writing, talking about the days of the week and doing a short calendar project before doing some reading practice. After the last recess of the day we did a short history lesson about the Statue of Liberty because they are doing a unit on Washington, D.C. and other American land marks.

The day went by quickly and I was very tired when I left the school but I think that it will be a lot of fun. The students were very kind and responded well to having another adult in the room. Many of them gave me hugs at the end of the day and one even told me he thought I would be a great teacher. I am excited to see where this takes me. First grade...here we go!

Nothing else much happening but I am relieved that my student teaching placement has been made because that was causing me to be anxious. Now I feel like I can really get into a routine and kinda settle into my schedule. Lots of new things are happening but I am ready for the challenge and excited to see how this semester goes. I am also ready to make some friends in the education department which will come easier this semester because I have four classes with basically the same people, plus or minus one or two students here and there. I am excited for the support system of these fellow student teachers and possible friendships that will last when we graduate from the program.

Thank you everyone who prayed for my teaching placement...I now have a home! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment